Oracle could play key role in TikTok deal between Trump administration and China, sources say

The Oracle technology company is part of a business consortium that would allow Tiktok to continue operations in the United States if a manager of the United States and China is finalized, the sources with knowledge of Tell CBS News negotiations.
The precise structure of the final agreement was not clear on Monday evening, but will include several companies, according to sources. It is not clear what level of involvement Chinese companies – including the current parent company of Tiktok, Bytedance – will have in the agreement, and which will control the powerful recommendation algorithm of Tiktok. Trump and Xi presidents are expected to speak on Friday.
Attempts to reach Oracle leaders and a White House spokesman failed. A Tiktok spokesperson refused to comment.
“The commercial conditions have been agreed,” said Madrid, Treasury Secretary on Monday, Scott Bessent in Madrid after meetings with Chinese officials on a series of questions, including Tiktok.
Li Chenggang, Chinese Vice-Minister of Trade, also said after meetings: “China will firmly protect the national interests, the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese companies and will approve technological exports in accordance with relevant laws and regulations.”
The Chinese Embassy in Washington had not responded to a request for comments at the time of publication.
Trump was a circumspect about an agreement with journalists from the Oval Office on Monday. “We can let him die, or we can, I don’t know, it depends. Until China. It doesn’t matter too much. I would like to do it for children. They love it.”
Last year, the Congress adopted and former President Joe Biden signed a bill which mainly gave the parent company in China in Tiktok, Bytedance, an ultimatum: either to give in to Tiktok, or to face a ban on the United States, the Supreme Court confirmed the law in a 9-0 decision. But Mr. Trump issued a series of orders by unilaterally delaying his application. The last one came in June, when he postponed the deadline to apply the measure until Wednesday.
The President’s orders ordered the Ministry of Justice not to act or impose penalties on technological companies like Apple and Google for having failed to comply with the law by authorizing Tiktok on their platforms.
The Tiktok’s divestment law was adopted in 2024 after years of bipartite concern about the possible national security risks posed by the ultra -popular video application. These include the concerns that the Chinese government can force Byédance to disclose information on users based in the United States or to manipulate the platform algorithm to control what Americans see. Tiktok has long denied that Chinese officials have an influence on the platform.
The concerns date back to Mr. Trump’s first term. The president Signed an executive decree to ban Tiktok In the United States, in 2020 for reasons of national security and data confidentiality, but this decision was blocked by a judge. Four years later, Mr. Trump changed CAP and Expressed support For the application, which he credited for his improvement in performance among young voters in last year’s elections.
Caitlin Yilek and Melissa Quinn contributed to this report.



