Trump asks courts to clarify SNAP food stamp payments amid shutdown

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
President Donald Trump said Friday that his administration has asked federal courts to clarify whether it can legally release Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) payments as the government shutdown continues.
In a statement posted to Truth Social, Trump said government lawyers had raised doubts about whether existing funds could be used for the November distribution and that two courts had issued conflicting opinions on the issue.
“Our government’s lawyers do not believe we have the legal authority to pay SNAP with some of the monies we have available, and now two courts have issued conflicting opinions on what we can and cannot do,” Trump wrote. “I do NOT want Americans to go hungry just because radical Democrats refuse to do the right thing and REOPEN THE GOVERNMENT.”
The president said he had directed administration lawyers to seek clarification from the courts “as soon as possible.”
SCHUMER, DEMS CALL ‘BULL—-‘ ON TRUMP ADMINISTRATION ON THREAT OF FOOD STAMP SHUTDOWN

President Donald Trump speaks to the media aboard Air Force One October 31, 2025, at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. (Samuel Corum/Getty Images)
“If the Court gives us the appropriate legal guidance, it will be MY HONOR to provide the funding, just as I have done for military and law enforcement pay,” Trump added. “Democrats should stop this charade of hurting people for their own political reasons, and REOPEN GOVERNMENT immediately.”
Trump urged food stamp recipients to contact Senate Democrats, writing: “If you use SNAP benefits, call Senate Democrats and tell them to reopen the government, NOW! Here’s the number to Cryin’ Chuck Schumer’s office.”
SNAP, formerly known as food stamps, provides assistance to approximately 42 million Americans each month, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Funding for the program depends on congressional appropriations, which expired during the current shutdown.
USDA CHIEF WARNS ‘WE’RE JUST AT THE CLIFF’ AS 40 MILLION AMERICANS PREPARE FOR FOOD STAMP CUTS

A woman with a basket containing food aid leaves a food distribution event sponsored by Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida and volunteers from Jesus Apostolic Church October 31, 2025 in Altamonte Springs, Florida. (Paul Hennessy/Anadolu via Getty Images)
The president made his comments a day before the scheduled Nov. 1 payment date for many recipients. The USDA has not publicly confirmed whether benefits would be paid if the courts do not provide new guidance.
Trump has repeatedly accused Democrats of extending the shutdown to gain political leverage, while Democrats say the White House could reopen the government by signing a short-term spending bill already passed by the Senate.

SNAP recipients have been outraged on social media over the government shutdown affecting their food benefits starting next month. (Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images)
In his message, Trump referenced his previous actions to protect military and law enforcement pay during the standoff, calling it his duty to “ensure Americans do not go hungry.”
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
No court filings related to SNAP funding had been publicly filed as of Friday afternoon.
The White House referred Fox News Digital to President Trump’s Truth Social message when pressed for comment.



