Anglican archbishop accused of sexual misconduct faces a church trial

https://www.profitableratecpm.com/f4ffsdxe?key=39b1ebce72f3758345b2155c98e6709c

The top leader of the Anglican Church in North America faces an ecclesiastical trial after a commission of inquiry said Friday it found probable cause for formal charges including abuse of power and sexual immorality.

Archbishop Stephen Wood was previously suspended from ministry in November by his fellow bishops after allegations against him were made public. Wood, married with four children, has denied any wrongdoing.

The Anglican Church of North America was established in 2009 by conservatives who split from the Episcopal Church in the United States and the Anglican Church of Canada over liberal trends in those churches, including the ordination of openly LGBTQ+ bishops. The Church claims to have approximately 130,000 members in approximately 1,000 congregations in the United States and Canada.

The commission of inquiry made its decision after a group of church members filed a complaint – a set of formal accusations – against him in October. According to Church rules, such accusations must be examined by a commission of inquiry before being submitted to a formal trial. If a bishop is found guilty of an accusation brought by the Church, remedies can range from censure to suspension to removal from ministry.

Wood faces three charges, according to the committee: violation of ordination vows, sexual immorality and conduct giving rise to scandal or offense, including abuse of ecclesiastical power. The board’s statement gave no details of the accusations.

A Washington Post investigative report says the complaint alleged sexual misconduct by Wood before he became archbishop last year, in his roles as pastor and regional bishop.

The presentation also included allegations that he bullied staff members and plagiarized sermons, according to the Post, which later reported that a second woman had formally accused Wood of sexual harassment.

The current dean of the church, Most Rev. Julian Dobbs, is serving as Archbishop of Wood during his suspension.

Wood is bishop of the Diocese of the Carolinas. During his suspension, this diocese will be led by interim Bishop David Bryan. Wood also retired from his position as rector of his parish, St. Andrew’s in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, after the allegations became public.

___

Associated Press religion coverage receives support through the AP’s collaboration with The Conversation US, with funding from Lilly Endowment Inc. The AP is solely responsible for this content.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button