Indonesia will ban social media for children under 16, communication minister says

JAKARTA, Indonesia — Indonesia will ban social networks for children under 16, Minister of Communication and Digital Affairs Meutya Hafid announced on Friday.
Hafid, in a media statement, said she had just signed a government regulation that would mean children under the age of 16 will no longer be able to have accounts on high-risk digital platforms, including YouTube, TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Threads, X, Bigo Live and Roblox.
Implementation will begin gradually from March 28, until all platforms fulfill their compliance obligations.
“The basis is clear. Our children face increasingly real threats. From exposure to pornography, cyberbullying, online fraud and, above all, addiction. The government is here so that parents no longer have to fight the algorithm giant alone.” said Hafid.
She added that the government is taking this step as the best effort in the midst of a digital emergency to regain sovereignty over the future of children.
“We are aware that the implementation of this regulation may cause some discomfort at first. Children may complain and parents may not know how to respond to their children’s complaints,” Hafid said.
Jakarta residents and parents have welcomed the government’s restrictions on access to social media, especially because children access social media through cell phones.
“I think it’s been very worrying for minors, especially children. Because they have too much freedom with photos, videos and everything. Some education is educational, but others are misleading. So you really have to sort through social media again,” said Marianah, 43, who, like many Indonesians, uses one name.
Others have suggested that the government should also block other harmful websites, such as porn sites and online gaming sites.
“As parents, we hope that online gambling and pornography sites can also be removed. So, in a sense, the government must also be fair. This is for the sake of the people themselves, for the children, and for their growth and development,” said Harianto, 49, a resident of Jakarta.
Earlier this week, Indonesia’s Ministry of Communication and Digital Affairs conducted a surprise inspection of Meta Platforms’ Jakarta office due to concerns over the handling of harmful content on its platforms, including Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp.
The ministry said in a statement that through this inspection, the Minister of Communication and Information Technology issued a stern warning regarding Meta’s low level of compliance with national regulations.
The Associated Press sent email requests for comment to TikTok and Meta, but has not yet received a response.
Indonesia will be the first country in Southeast Asia to restrict children’s access to social media.
Restriction of access to social media for adolescents began in Australia in December 2025. Social media companies have revoked access to approximately 4.7 million accounts identified as belonging to children in Australia.
Other countries, including Spain, France and the United Kingdom, are also taking or considering measures to restrict minors’ access to social media, amid growing concerns that children may be harmed by being exposed to unregulated content on social media.




