Senate confirms Colin McDonald as first DOJ fraud enforcement chief

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The Senate on Tuesday confirmed Colin McDonald by a 52-47 vote as the Justice Department’s first assistant attorney general for domestic fraud enforcement, as the Trump administration steps up efforts to crack down on abuses of taxpayer-funded programs.
The confirmation comes as federal officials continue to investigate large-scale fraud schemes, including an investigation into a Minnesota daycare fraud involving millions of taxpayer-funded federal dollars, while House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer alleged that whistleblowers had been warning state leaders about the problem for years.
President Donald Trump created the new National Fraud Enforcement Division to target systemic fraud in federal programs, highlighting cases such as Minnesota’s, which officials say both exposed widespread abuse and helped shape the federal government’s response.
“My administration uncovered fraudulent schemes in states like Minnesota and California, where these thieves stole hundreds of billions of dollars from taxpayers,” Trump said. “Together we will end fraud and restore the integrity of our federal programs.”
EXCLUSIVE: SENATE BILL TARGETS ‘LEAK FRAUD’ IN MINNESOTA TO FORCE Scammers to Repay Taxpayers

Colin McDonald, Assistant U.S. Attorney General for Domestic Fraud Enforcement, speaks during a Senate Judiciary Committee confirmation hearing, February 25, 2026. (Graeme Sloan/Getty Images)
The new role aims to centralize enforcement efforts and increase the Justice Department’s ability to investigate and prosecute complex fraud schemes related to public assistance programs.
During his confirmation hearing, McDonald said the work in Minnesota had been “crucial” in highlighting fraud in taxpayer-funded programs and that the new division would seek to “expand” similar efforts nationally.
Attorney General Pam Bondi called McDonald an “experienced, knowledgeable and tough prosecutor” who “will continue to do incredible work to root out fraud across America.”
FEDERAL FRAUD FACES CONFRONTATION IN SENATE AS THUNE CALLS ON ERNST TO LEAD REFORMS AFTER MINNESOTA SCANDAL

Minnesota’s Quality Learning Center has been found at the center of an alleged child care fraud scandal in the state. (Madelin Fuerste / Fox News Channel)
Assistant Attorney General Todd Blanche described McDonald as “one of the most effective attorneys” he has worked with and said the American people should have confidence in his leadership of the new division.
Vice President JD Vance said McDonald had an “outstanding prosecutorial record” and was well-positioned to take on the role.
McDonald currently serves as Deputy Assistant Attorney General at the Department of Justice, where he worked on significant law enforcement initiatives under Blanche.
GOP SENATOR PUSHES TO CREATE SPECIAL ANTI-FRAUD INSPECTOR GENERAL AFTER MINNESOTA FRAUD REVELATIONS

Sen. Chuck Grassley, Republican of Iowa and chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, left, and Sen. Dick Durbin, Democrat of Illinois and ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, during a confirmation hearing. (Graeme Sloan/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
During his testimony, McDonald highlighted the scale of the problem, citing estimates that hundreds of billions of dollars are lost to fraud each year, and said the Justice Department would work with federal, state and local partners to investigate and prosecute cases, adding that “no fraud is too big” and “no fraud is too small” to enforce.
Minnesota’s child care fraud investigation has come under particular scrutiny as part of a broader crackdown, with federal investigators and lawmakers looking into allegations that funds intended for child care and children’s meals were embezzled or misused.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
A recent state audit found that Minnesota officials failed to properly investigate fraud-related allegations for years, concluding that the Department of Human Services had the authority to pursue the cases but failed to act, according to the report.
Landon Mion, Andrew Mark Miller, Emma Colton and Max Bacall of Fox News Digital contributed to this report.




