Chicago mayor to sign executive order directing city to resist Trump’s immigration raids | Chicago

The mayor of Chicago plans to sign an executive decree describing on Saturday how the city will try to resist the repression of the immigration of Donald Trump, according to reports.
Brandon Johnson will indicate councils for city agencies and the police, CNN reported: “In the midst of climbing federal government threats”.
Last week, the White House asked that an American military base on the outskirts of Chicago be made available to help immigration operations, because the Trump administration plans to take a broader takeover of the “sanctuary cities” managed by the Democrats.
Johnson’s ordinance “says” that the Chicago police will not “collaborate with federal agents on joint patrols of the application of laws, arrest operations or other law application tasks, including the application of the civil immigration law,” said CNN.
He also indicates that city ministries should “continue all legal and legislative avenues available to resist the coordinated efforts of the federal government”.
Thursday, Tom Homan, the “border tsar” of the administration, said that Chicago, as well as a number of other cities, would soon be targeted in a planned immigration repression.
“Operations are accelerating across the country. But you can see a rise in power through Chicago operations, absolutely,” said Homan.
In an interview with Fox News, Homan was asked if he wanted to give Johnson a message. Homan replied: “Log away, because we are going to do it.”
NBC News reported that Ice, Border Patrol and other agencies would send many agents and equipment in Chicago next week, to try to increase the arrests of undocumented immigrants.
The planned move occurs for weeks after the president has deployed armed soldiers and military vehicles to patrol the streets of Washington, affirming, despite all the evidence available, that the use of the National Guard was necessary to control crime.
The Trump administration worked on plans to send the National Guard to Chicago, which Johnson and JB Pritzker, the governor of Illinois, said he was an abuse of power.
After promoting the newsletter
On Friday, Pritzker said that such a decision would be an “invasion”. He told CBS News that if Trump sends the National Guard, voters “should understand that he has other objectives, except to fight crime”.
Pritzker said that these objectives could be “to stop the elections in 2026 or, frankly, to take control of these elections”.
The White House and Johnson office did not immediately respond to a request for comments.


