First LGBTQ pilgrimage added to Vatican’s official Jubilee calendar

More than 1,000 LGBTQ Catholics and their families crossed the Saint-Pierre Basilica door this weekend as part of a pilgrimage to the jubilee listed on the official calendar of the holy year of the Vatican.
The event appeared under the neutral title “Pilgrimage of the Tenda di Gionata association (Jonathan tent) and other associations” for September 6, 2025 on their website.
The list marks the first time that a LGBTQ pilgrimage was included in the Vatican Jubilee program.
Many pilgrims have praised him as a sign of reception after Pope Francis’ 12 years, while criticism in the Catholic media criticized the decision as undermining the tradition of the Church.
Pope Leo points out the continuation of the reception of Pope Francis of the LGBT community in the Catholic Church

Andrea Mattei, holding a rainbow cross arrives with other members of the LGBTQ + community to attend a monitoring prayer in the Church of Gesu ‘in the center of Rome, Friday September 5, 2025. (AP photo / Andrew Medichin)
Some participants cried when entering the basilica. “It was just epic, as if I had been able to touch the hand of God,” Justin Del Rosario told the Associated Press, who wore a crucifix through the threshold with his male partner.
Pilgrims came from the United States, Italy and Brazil. The groups included Dignityusa, awareness and a delegation of transgender Rome.
Many have underlined Pope Francis’ record, his 2013 remark, “Who am I to judge?” To his decision allowing priests to bless the same sex couples as opening the way to the pilgrimage. While never changing the teaching of the church on homosexuality, Francis has met LGBT defenders several times.
Pope Leo chooses to share the papal residence with four partners, breaking to tradition

Some of the hundreds of LGBTQ + Catholics and their families who joined a pilgrimage of the holy year in Rome, celebrating a new level of acceptance in the Catholic church and crediting Pope Francis for change, cross the Holy Porte de la Basilique Saint-Pierre au Vatican, Saturday September 6, 2025. (AP photo / Andrew Medichini)
Pope Leo XIV, only months after his papacy, did not mention the Catholics LGBTQ during his audience of the jubilee, but met in private this week with the Jesuit. James Martin, who said that the Holy Father echoed the welcoming message of Francis.
Vatican officials pointed out that adding pilgrimage to the calendar was logistical, not approval. “These are not sponsored activities. Once it is found that there is space, we insert the pilgrimage into the general calendar,” spokesperson for Vatican Agican Agnese Palmucci told Reuters.
The online reaction has shown tips.

Some of the hundreds of LGBTQ + Catholics and their families who joined a pilgrimage of the holy year in Rome, celebrating a new level of acceptance in the Catholic church and crediting Pope Francis for change, cross the Holy Porte de la Basilique Saint-Pierre au Vatican, Saturday September 6, 2025. (AP photo / Andrew Medichini)
“Yes, the first LGBTQ + pilgrimage of the Vatican approved by Pope Francis a few months before his death this weekend under Pope Leo.” Published POPE CRAVE (@ClubConcrave) on X.
Others condemned him as a betrayal of the doctrine. “F — The rules inside Saint-Pierre.
Click here to obtain the Fox News app
The Vatican did not immediately respond to the request for comments from Fox News Digital.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.




