Another day, another Southern Section athlete declared ineligible


As part of an ongoing crackdown by the Southern Section on students and parents who provide inaccurate information on transfer documents, Orange Lutheran High announced Tuesday that it has declared a football player ineligible and will lose its first two games of the season. The school self-reported the violation after a weeks-long investigation.
This fall, more than 40 students were sentenced to two years without being able to play for violating CIF Rule 202, which involves providing false information. In September, the Southern Section disqualified 19 players from the Bishop Montgomery football program, for a total of 24. The school canceled its varsity season.
Players from Long Beach Millikan, Long Beach Poly, Compton, Victor Valley and Bellflower were also hit with two-year penalties.
The Lutheran student from Orange will only be ineligible until next season because the transfer did not submit fraudulent documents.
The Southern Section has deployed new investigative techniques to verify transfer documents submitted by schools.
Orange Lutheran Principal Jack Preus and football coach Rod Sherman updated players and parents Tuesday. Preus said that as a result of this experience, his school would institute a “more rigorous process” of reviewing invoices and visiting the homes of transfer students before sending in paperwork for a valid change of residence.
Schools have begun submitting transfer paperwork for basketball players with the season starting Nov. 17, which will indicate whether athletic directors and parents have learned lessons from what happened to football players.
One big change is that the South Section declared players ineligible after accepting a school’s decision declaring the athlete eligible with a valid change of residence. If additional information becomes available indicating whether the student was validly authorized to change residence, the student may become ineligible. Same with students allowed after a period of absence of athletes.
“We’re going to be different and do it right,” Sherman said.
Southern Section Commissioner Mike West said last month, “We’ve had a real influx of fraudulent documents. It’s significant and very discouraging.”
Orange Lutheran falls to 2-6 overall, but is still considered a likely Division 1 playoff participant due to its strong schedule. He lost wins against Miami Northwestern and Rancho Cucamonga.



