Oklahoma becomes latest state to sue Roblox over child safety concerns

https://www.profitableratecpm.com/f4ffsdxe?key=39b1ebce72f3758345b2155c98e6709c

Oklahoma filed a lawsuit against Roblox on Thursday, becoming the latest state to file a lawsuit against the popular gaming platform over child safety concerns.

“Roblox presented itself as a safe place for children, but turned a blind eye to predators who targeted and exploited minors on its platform,” Attorney General Gentner Drummond said in a press release Thursday.

In the 51-page lawsuit filed in Cleveland County District Court, Drummond claims Roblox failed to implement basic safety controls, prioritizing user growth over child safety, and that the platform “facilitated the systemic sexual exploitation and abuse of children in Oklahoma and elsewhere in the United States.”

The platform’s design, the suit claims, prevents parents from being aware of their child’s activity, leading to exposure to “dangerous adults” and encounters involving violence and sexual content.

In September, according to the lawsuit, an Oklahoma mother sued Roblox after her then-12-year-old daughter was forced to send explicit photos and videos to a man in his 40s posing as a teenage girl on the platform.

Over the past year, a series of lawsuits have cropped up across the country alleging an online environment within Roblox that facilitates child exploitation.

A CBS News investigation last year find at least a dozen hate speeches on Roblox targeting minority groups and dozens of swastikas in a game where users were able to bypass security moderations.

The Oklahoma lawsuit alleges violations of the state’s consumer protection law, saying Roblox made false representations to consumers by failing to disclose “the true nature of the risks of harm to children.” Oklahoma seeks civil penalties for each violation of the law and permanent injunctions prohibiting deceptive practices and requiring the implementation of “meaningful and lasting” safeguards.

The platform hosts more than 150 million active daily users, according to Roblox, and up to two-thirds of U.S. children ages 9 to 12 have an account, according to the Oklahoma lawsuit.

Roblox says on its website that the company applies “rigorous built-in protections and tools” and leverages partnerships with child safety experts. It announced last month that it would launch expanded parental controls for users under 16 in June.

In a statement to CBS News, Roblox Chief Security Officer Matt Kaufman said the company has built a multi-layered security system for user protection that deploys AI-based detection, human moderation and filters designed to prevent the exchange of personal information.

“We share Attorney General Drummond’s commitment to keeping children safe online,” Kaufman said. “That said, we are disappointed that he has filed a lawsuit that both fundamentally misrepresents how Roblox works and fails to take into account the extensive, industry-leading proactive measures the company is taking to set a new standard for online safety.”

The company said it was the first online gaming platform to require age checks for all users accessing chat features, and noted that it did not allow the exchange of images or videos in chats.

Kaufman said Roblox works closely with law enforcement when it identifies violations and that “while no system can be perfect,” the company is constantly strengthening user protections. “We look forward to working constructively with Attorney General Drummond to help keep children safe online,” he said.

At least nine states, including Oklahoma, have sued Roblox and at least three others have reached a settlement with the platform.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button