Dodgers downplay Teoscar Hernandez rumors, assess bullpen options

https://www.profitableratecpm.com/f4ffsdxe?key=39b1ebce72f3758345b2155c98e6709c
p]:text-cms-story-body-color-text clearfix”>

So far, the Dodgers have had an offseason with few acquisitions.

So much so that on Monday, during the first day of the MLB’s annual winter meetings at Signia by Hilton Orlando, the most intriguing rumor surrounding the team concerned a potential subtraction of their roster from the big league.

According to multiple reports, Teoscar Hernández participated in the Dodgers’ trade talks with other teams this winter. USA Today went so far as to say the club was “shopping” on the two-time All-Star, who is entering the second season of the three-year, $66 million contract he signed last offseason.

However, manager Dave Roberts and general manager Brandon Gomes downplayed that notion when speaking to reporters Monday.

Dodgers right fielder Teoscar Hernandez hits a sacrifice fly to score the Dodgers' Will Smith during the World Series.

Dodgers right fielder Teoscar Hernández hits a sacrifice fly to score the Dodgers’ Will Smith during Game 7 of the World Series against the Toronto Blue Jays, November 1.

(Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times)

“Teo certainly fits [our roster still]”, Roberts said. “He helped us win two championships. It’s one of my favorites.

“It doesn’t seem likely,” Gomes added of the possibility of trading Hernández. “Obviously, you can never say never on this sort of thing. I know it’s been brought up. [in reports]. But that’s not something we’re planning at all.

The idea of ​​the Dodgers trading Hernández seemed distant from the start. Although the 33-year-old slugger had an inconsistent and injury-plagued regular season in 2025 — both at the plate, where he hit 25 homers but hit just .247, and especially defensively, where he had several notable errors after moving to right field — the 10-year veteran made crucial contributions in each of the Dodgers’ two World Series over the past two years and served as a mentor to the Dodgers’ younger players. clubhouse; none more than Andy Pages.

Certainly, moving Hernández could help the Dodgers get younger, which has been a goal of the front office this offseason as they try to navigate their aging and expensive roster. And his salary could be reused if the team signs a flashier free agent.

But for now, the Dodgers continue to express confidence in their current core, with Roberts noting Monday that “we’re very confident about where the roster is right now” and that “we think there’s really not much that can be done.”

Additionally, moving Hernández would only further exacerbate the team’s pre-existing need for on-field help, as the club continues to evaluate both the free agent market (where players such as Cody Bellinger or Harrison Bader appear to be better and more affordable than a likely $400 million signing of top free agent option Kyle Tucker) and trade possibilities (such as Brendan Donovan or Lars Nootbaar from the St. Louis, Jarren Duran). or Wilyer Abreu of the Boston Red Sox or – in a less likely scenario – Steven Kwan of the Cleveland Guardians).

Roberts left the door open for Hernández to potentially move to left field, where he spent the majority of 2024 for the Dodgers before moving to his more natural position in right field last year.

Still, in Roberts’ eyes, Hernández’s defense was “at least average” coming off an August series in Colorado when he made some particularly egregious errors on fly balls. His defensive metrics throughout his career have also been stronger in right field than left field.

“I think that with the versatility [of our roster] and how we can potentially shape this roster, there’s a few options,” Roberts said. “But right now he’s our right fielder.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button