Stefon Diggs faces felony charge of strangling private chef

https://www.profitableratecpm.com/f4ffsdxe?key=39b1ebce72f3758345b2155c98e6709c

New England Patriots wide receiver Stefon Diggs was charged with felony strangulation or choking and misdemeanor assault and battery during a court hearing Tuesday. The alleged victim in the Dec. 2 incident was his private chef, according to a report collected by police in Dedham, Massachusetts.

Through his attorney, Diggs has denied the allegations. The woman’s name was redacted from the police report.

The chief reported the incident on Dec. 16, telling police that she and Diggs had a dispute over pay after he told her via text that her services were not needed the week of Nov. 7 and she responded that she should be paid for the week.

The woman told police that Diggs entered her unlocked bedroom in her home and “punched her in the face.” She tried to push him away and he “tried to strangle her by putting his elbow around her neck.”

She said she had trouble breathing and felt like she might pass out. “As she tried to pull his arm away, he tightened his grip,” she told police.

The woman told police she had redness on her upper chest after the incident, but she did not take photos. She returned to Diggs’ house on Dec. 9 to pick up her belongings and he asked her to speak with his assistant about getting paid, she told police. The assistant told her that Diggs asked her to sign a nondisclosure agreement, but she refused.

Diggs’ girlfriend is rapper Cardi B, who gave birth to their son in November. Cardi B, born Belcalis Almánzar, is not mentioned by name in the police report, although the woman told police on December 20 that a few days earlier, “she received a voicemail and text messages from a woman she believed to be Diggs’ girlfriend. Based on those messages, [the alleged victim] believed Diggs somehow knew the police had been contacted. The messages said something like: “You don’t need to do all of this. It’s not that bad.

The woman, who had worked as Diggs’ private chef since July, initially did not want police to press charges against the two-time All-Pro wide receiver, but changed her mind on Dec. 23.

Diggs’ attorney, David Meier, said in a statement that his client “categorically denies these allegations. They are baseless, uncorroborated and have never been investigated – because they did not happen.”

“The timing and motivation of the allegations are very clear: they are the direct result of a financial dispute between employee and employer that was not resolved to the employee’s satisfaction. Stefon looks forward to establishing the truth in court.”

Meier also said Diggs made a financial offer to the woman, telling the judge during Tuesday’s hearing, “As we speak, they’re working to come to an agreement on this.” »

According to the police report, Diggs did not respond to investigators’ calls and the criminal complaint was “based on [the alleged victim’s] statement.”

Diggs, 32, has been one of the NFL’s best receivers since beginning his career with the Minnesota Vikings in 2015. He ranks fifth among active players with 939 career receptions, including 82 this season for 970 yards.

This is his first season with the Patriots, who clinched the AFC East title and will begin the playoffs with a wild-card home game the weekend of Jan. 10. Diggs is in the first year of a three-year, $69 million contract.

“We support Stefon,” the Patriots said in a statement. “We will continue to gather information and cooperate fully with relevant authorities and the NFL as necessary. Out of respect for all parties involved, and given that this is an ongoing legal matter, we will have no further comment at this time.”

Diggs’ arraignment is scheduled for January 23. Meier asked the judge Tuesday that the proceedings be postponed until March, but no decision has been made.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button