World News

Trump speaks with Petro amid nationwide Colombia protests against US after Venezuela intervention – live | US foreign policy

https://www.profitableratecpm.com/f4ffsdxe?key=39b1ebce72f3758345b2155c98e6709c

Colombians protest nationwide after Trump threats

Crowds of Colombians have gathered in public squares across the country in nationwide demonstrations “to defend national sovereignty” against Donald Trump’s military threats.

Colombia’s flags waved in the breeze from rooftops, windows and taxi antennas in the capital, Bogotá, on Wednesday in response to President Gustavo Petro’s call for a “day of national mobilisation”.

“The U.S. is the biggest threat to world peace,” one placard at said at a protest in the city’s central Plaza de Bolívar. Hundreds of demonstrators chanted “Long live free and sovereign Colombia!”

In a security alert, the US embassy in Bogotá warned Americans to steer clear of the protests “as they have the potential to turn violent”.

Pro-Petro demonstrators at a rally in Bogotá
A demonstrator holds a sign depicting Gustavo Petro with a message in Spanish that translates as “He represent us and has our support” during a protest at Plaza de Bolivar square in Bogotá, Colombia. Photograph: Andres Rot/Getty Images

As the Associated Press also reports, Petro has been frustrated with Colombian congressional resistance to his contentious reforms, and as he faces a series of electoral tests he has found in Trump the perfect foil as he fights for his legacy.

“He wants this stage where he is the clearest adversary, rhetorically or politically, to the US,” said Sergio Guzman, a political risk analyst based in Bogotá.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

US Venezuela operation killed 100, says Caracas

Further to our last post, Venezuela had not previously given a number for those killed in the weekend US operation that removed president Nicolás Maduro from power, but the army posted a list of 23 names of its dead.

Interior minister Diosdado Cabello said late on Wednesday that 100 people died in the US raid, Reuters reports.

Venezuelan officials have said a large part of Maduro’s security contingent was killed “in cold blood”, and Cuba has said 32 members of its military and intelligence services in Venezuela were killed.

Cabello also said that Maduro’s wife, First Lady Cilia Flores – who was detained alongside him – suffered a head injury during the US raid, while Maduro sustained a leg injury.

As our piece on the pair’s appearance in a New York City court on Tuesday detailed, Flores had two large Band-Aids on her face – on the temple and forehead.

Venezuela’s interim president Delcy Rodriguez, who Cabello praised during his weekly show on state television as “courageous”, on Tuesday declared a week of mourning for members of the military killed in the raid.

Share

Updated at 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button