Jury selection begins in alleged murder-for-hire plot of Border Patrol leader in Chicago

https://www.profitableratecpm.com/f4ffsdxe?key=39b1ebce72f3758345b2155c98e6709c

CHICAGO– Jury selection began Tuesday in the trial of a man accused of offering a $10,000 bounty for the life of a Border Patrol commander who led an immigration crackdown in Chicago last year.

Juan Espinoza Martinez, 37, faces one count of murder for hire. Federal prosecutors say he is a “high-profile member” of the Latin Kings gang that offered a financial reward for the murder of Gregory Bovino. The Border Patrol official has been the public face of the Trump administration’s combative immigration operations, including in California, North Carolina and Minnesota.

Espinoza Martínez is the first person to face criminal trial in connection with the crackdown in and around the country’s third-largest city. Bovino and the Trump administration have cited the case as an example of the growing dangers facing federal agents.

But a series of federal lawsuits have fueled skepticism about the Trump administration’s rhetoric about the Chicago operation. Of the approximately 30 criminal cases arising from Operation Midway Blitz, charges were dropped or dropped in about half. In a notable trial that forced Bovino to appear for a deposition, a federal judge found that he had lied under oath, including about alleged gang threats.

Days before Espinoza Martinez’s trial, prosecutors acknowledged they did not have evidence proving gang ties, leading U.S. Judge Joan Lefkow to bar questioning of the Latin Kings.

Espinoza Martinez, who has pleaded not guilty, wore a dark suit and tie in court and watched the proceedings intently. He has been in federal custody since his arrest in October.

Born in Mexico, he has lived in the United States for over 30 years. He does not have legal permission to remain in the United States.

His family and lawyers say he is not part of a gang. The father of three worked as a carpenter.

“The evidence on Mr. Martinez’s intent is very weak,” defense attorney Jonathan Bedi told the judge before the jury heard.

Prosecutors say Espinoza Martinez sent a Snapchat message in October to other gang members that read in part, “10,000 if you shoot him,” along with a photo of Bovino. He also allegedly offered $2,000 for information about the commander. The criminal complaint cites an anonymous source who accuses Espinoza Martinez of being a “high-profile member of the Latin Kings.”

The trial is expected to last a few days and feature testimony from federal agents as well as excerpts from a videotaped interview Espinoza Martinez gave to authorities after his arrest. Bovino is not expected to testify.

If convicted, Espinoza Martinez faces up to 10 years in prison.

“Putting a price on the life of a law enforcement officer is a line that can never be crossed,” U.S. Attorney Andrew Boutros said in a statement announcing the charges in October.

The review of officers’ use of force has followed operations in Los Angeles, Chicago, New Orleans and currently in Minnesota’s Twin Cities. The arrests by armed and masked agents gave rise to numerous protests and intense clashes in each region.

In the Chicago area, more than 4,300 people were arrested for alleged immigration violations during the crackdown that began in September. Bovino signaled that immigration operations in Chicago would intensify again in the coming months.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also
Close
Back to top button