Justice Department weighing whether to charge James Comey with lying to Congress

The Ministry of Justice weighs the opportunity to invoice the former director of the FBI, James Comey, the lie at the Congress, two MJ officials and a person familiar with the case in NBC News on Wednesday.
“There are still internal questions settled,” said one of the officials.
An MJ spokesperson refused to comment on all questions relating to Comey.
Internal debate Comes a few days after President Donald Trump published on social networks that the Attorney General Pam Bondi should take measures against Comey and two of the president’s political enemies: Senator Adam Schiff, D-Calif., And the New York Prosecutor General Letitia James.
“We can no longer delay, it kills our reputation and our credibility. They dismissed me twice and charged me (5 times!), On nothing. Justice must be done, now !!!” He said in The Truth Social Post on Saturday.
He told journalists later in the day: “If they are not guilty, it’s good. If they are guilty, or if they were to be tried, they should be tried. And we have to do it now.”
All accusations against Comey could come from the eastern district of Virginia, where the deliberations on how to manage the Comey case are active, said the second manager of the Ministry of Justice at NBC News.
The accusation in question would imply the testimony of Comey pronounced in Congress on September 30, 2020, in response to a question from Senator Ted Cruz, R-Texas, on the authorization of an information leak. Comey was asked if he took place in a previous testimony of 2017, denying that he had authorized the flight, and he replied: “I stayed next to the testimony”.
If the Ministry of Justice decides to charge in Comey, this could happen in the coming days. A five -year limitation period is expected to expire at the start of next week.
A representative of Comey refused to comment on Wednesday.
Trump’s call for Doj’s action One day came after forcing Erik S. Siebert as an American lawyer in the Oriental District of Virginia.
Main sources from the Ministry of Justice recently declared that Siebert had decided to resign rather than request an indictment from Comey due to the lack of evidence in the case.
Trump later posted on X that he had dismissed Siebert, rather than resigning him. He was replaced on Monday by Lindsey Halligan, one of Trump’s former personal lawyers.
The Ministry of Justice recognized in July that it was investigating Comey, but had not disclosed any information on the investigation.
Trump has long criticized Comey, who launched an investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and possible links with the Trump campaign. Trump dismissed Comey in May 2017, a decision that led the former FBI director, Robert Mueller, appointed special investigation advisor to Russia.
The Mueller’s survey lasted almost two years and led 34 people and three companies to be criminal. His report found that the Russian government “interfered in the 2016 presidential election in a swelling and systematic manner”, but said that the investigators had not established that Trump or his team “plotted or coordinated with the Russian government in its electoral interference activities”, despite numerous contacts.
Trump has long mocked the investigation as a “witch hunt” and a “hoax”.
Siebert had also investigated allegations of mortgage fraud against James, whose office managed to continue Trump and his company for fraud.
Last week, two senior law enforcement officials told NBC News that the investigation had blocked the concerns of federal agents and prosecutors who thought he had not proof to obtain a conviction if the case should be tried.
James denied any reprehensible act.






