EU chief announces more sanctions on Iran as protest death toll rises

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said on Tuesday that the European Union was working on new punitive measures against Tehran, as the death toll from the crackdown on anti-government protests rises.
“The growing number of victims in Iran is horrific,” von der Leyen wrote on social media.
“I unequivocally condemn the excessive use of force and the continued restriction of freedoms,” she said.
Oslo-based rights organization Iran Human Rights (IHRNGO) says at least 648 people have been killed since protests began in December.
IHRNGO said some estimates put the number of people at more than 6,000, while more than 10,000 are believed to have been arrested.
Von der Leyen said that “new sanctions against those responsible for the repression will be proposed quickly.”
“We stand with the Iranian people who are courageously marching for their freedom.”
Since December 28, Iran has been gripped by the most serious wave of protests in years.
What began as protests by traders over the sharp fall in the value of the Iranian rial and growing economic woes quickly escalated into nationwide demonstrations against the country’s radical Islamic leaders.
The violence against demonstrators has reignited debate within the EU on the possible classification of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) as a terrorist organization.
The Berlin government said on Monday that Germany was committed to reaching an agreement on the issue.
Von der Leyen pointed out that the EU had already imposed sanctions on the IRGC for human rights violations.


