Man wielding a handgun apprehended after attempting to enter Romulus Middle School
Getty Images
A 44-year-old man was arrested Tuesday by Romulus police after he attempted to enter Romulus Middle School with a handgun.
According to a statement shared on social networksRomulus police responded to a report of an active shooter at 9:53 a.m. after school employees initiated a lockdown after seeing a man with a handgun attempting to enter the school’s main doors. Gunshots were reported.
Officers apprehended the man near the main entrance and recovered a handgun at the scene. An investigation into the suspect’s motives or intentions is still ongoing, with the department advising anyone with information related to the incident to contact Detective Sergeant Jason Otter at 734-942-6857. Callers can remain anonymous.
There is no ongoing threat to the school or community, the department said, praising school employees for “their quick recognition of danger and immediate notification to 911.”
“Their professional and timely actions could have prevented this incident from getting worse,” the department wrote in a statement.
State Sen. Darrin Camilleri (D-Trenton), whose district includes Romulus, issued a statement Tuesday afternoon, noting that he had been briefed on the issue by local leaders, including Romulus School Board President Porsche Laster and Mayor Robert McCraight.
“I am extremely grateful that our school staff and first responders were able to ensure that all students and staff remained safe during this scary time,” Camilleri said. “All safety systems operated today and we avoided any potential tragedy. I will continue to monitor this situation throughout the investigation and my office will be available to assist if necessary.”
SUPPORT: YOU MAKE OUR WORK POSSIBLE




