Pete Hegseth Moves Against Senator Mark Kelly

https://www.profitableratecpm.com/f4ffsdxe?key=39b1ebce72f3758345b2155c98e6709c

Policy


/
January 5, 2026

But the Navy veteran insists he will continue to speak out against illegal military orders.

Pete Hegseth Moves Against Senator Mark Kelly

President Donald Trump and Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth during a press conference following U.S. military actions in Venezuela, at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence, January 3, 2026.

(Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images)

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth vowed to investigate and possibly even court-martial Arizona Sen. Mark Kelly, a retired Navy captain, after he joined five other Democrats on a video informing military personnel they have the right to refuse illegal orders from their commanders last November.

On Monday, Hegseth officially “censored” Kelly and announced that his military pension would be reduced. “[Kelly] released a reckless and seditious video that was clearly intended to undermine good order and military discipline,” Hegseth said in a statement. Kelly could also face a reduction in his rank to retired captain, he added. But so far, Hegseth has made no move to begin court-martial proceedings.

The former Fox News host stood just alongside President Trump when he announced the illegal capture of Venezuelan President Nicholas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores on drug charges (and the clear subtext of mismanagement of the country’s oil resources). The months-long large-scale military and intelligence action in Venezuela has proven that so far few U.S. security personnel are listening to Kelly and his fellow veterans about the imperative need to refuse illegal orders. There may well be more opportunities, as Trump says he could follow his actions in Venezuela with similar measures against Cuba, Colombia, Greenland and even Mexico.

Kelly quickly fired back at Hegseth Monday morning on

He continued:

Current number

Cover of the January 2026 issue

“If Pete Hegseth, the least qualified Secretary of Defense in our nation’s history, thinks he can intimidate me with censorship or threats to demote me or sue me, he still doesn’t get it. I will fight with everything I have – not for myself, but to send the message that Pete Hegseth and Donald Trump cannot decide what Americans in this country have to say about their government.”

The five other Democratic members of Congress with military and security backgrounds who joined Kelly on the video are Michigan Sen. Elissa Slotkin, House Reps. Jason Crow of Colorado, Maggie Goodlander of New Hampshire and Chris Deluzio and Chrissy Houlahan of Pennsylvania. After the video was released, Trump said on Truth Social that the security veterans’ actions could be “punishable by DEATH.”

Because the other five abandoned their military careers rather than retire with their rank intact and a pension, they are not subject to the same military discipline as Kelly.

U.S. Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton has repeatedly warned against Hegseth’s politicization of the military, pointing out that his decisions to replace the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and top Army and Navy leaders are “reminiscent of Stalin,” the Soviet leader who purged countless military officials and replaced them with men whose utmost loyalty was to him.

Trump, of course, has tried to retaliate against other political foes, including former FBI Director James Comey, New York Attorney General Letitia James and California Senator Adam Schiff, but so far judges and grand juries have resisted his maneuvers (which hasn’t stopped Trump from trying to go after them again).

For now, some media outlets suggest Hegseth has backed off the threat of a court-martial against Kelly, but the secretary insists he continues to review his options, especially if Kelly continues to encourage the military to ignore illegal orders. Kelly’s Monday statement gave no sign that he plans to stop criticizing Trump and Hegseth and their illegal orders to the military anytime soon.

Jeanne Walsh



Joan Walsh, national affairs correspondent for The nationis co-producer of The sit-in: Harry Belafonte hosts the Tonight Show and the author of What’s wrong with white people? Finding our way in the next America. His new book (with Nick Hanauer and Donald Cohen) is Corporate Bullsh*t: Exposing the lies and half-truths that protect profit, power and wealth in America.

More than The nation

: Protesters take part in a rally near the U.S. Embassy to denounce the U.S. attack on Venezuela on January 5, 2026, in Seoul, South Korea.

The Venezuelan coup opens the doors to a new era of imperial plunder.

Jeet Heer

if you simply find it logically incoherent and morally repugnant that a supposedly all-powerful Supreme Being was *unable* to lift a curse he himself had inflicted on humanity for the crime of simply being born (

UAW Region 9A’s support for Lander rather than one of the wealthiest members of Congress indicates that pro-labor voting results alone no longer guarantee worker support.

Pierre Lucas

Mayor Zohran Mamdani stands with his wife, Rama Duwaji, after concluding his speech to the crowd at the 2026 New York City inauguration, in front of New York City Hall, January 1, 2026.

Mayor Zohran Mamdani defies the cold and calls to move downtown with the promise of a New York that belongs to the people who live there.

DD Guttenplan


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button