US immigration chief Gregory Bovino set to leave Minneapolis after deadly shooting

Getty ImagesA top US immigration official is expected to leave the US city of Minneapolis, in what could mark a change in tone from the White House following the fatal shooting of a second US citizen by federal agents over the weekend.
As Border Patrol Commander Gregory Bovino and some immigration agents depart, President Donald Trump’s border czar Tom Homan will begin leading on-the-ground efforts in the city after the fatal shooting of Alex Pretti on Saturday escalated tensions.
Trump’s decision could indicate the administration’s interest in reversing more aggressive federal action in its nationwide immigration crackdown.
Despite this announcement, online tracking shows that immigration raids have continued.
In addition to the change in leadership and the reduction in the number of federal agents, other signs of a change in strategy by the Trump administration have been seen in recent days.
Trump has had phone calls with city and state Democratic officials that he described in a positive light, a change in tone after attacking them over the weekend. And the president himself avoided the language used by some of his top aides, who sought to blame Saturday’s tragedy on Pretti.
His administration faces pressure from some prominent Republicans, who have joined opposition Democrats in calling for a full-scale investigation.
On Monday, a Republican candidate for governor of the state withdrew from the election race, calling the crackdown in Minnesota a “total disaster.”
That candidate was Chris Madel, a defense attorney who advised the officer who earlier this month fatally shot another U.S. citizen in Minneapolis, Renee Good.
Bovino was the face of the operation when Pretti — an observer seen filming agents — was involved in a confrontation that resulted in Pretti being shot numerous times.
The commander claimed that Pretti intended to “massacre” federal agents – a statement that inflamed many protesters in the streets.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said the agents fired in self-defense after Pretti, who they said had a handgun, resisted their attempts to disarm him Saturday.
Eyewitnesses, local officials and the victim’s family disputed this version, pointing out that Pretti had a phone in his hand and not a weapon. His parents, meanwhile, accused the administration of spreading “sickening lies” about what happened.
There are no signs of a weapon in Pretti’s hand, according to analysis of the video available by BBC Verify.
Bovino has played a key role in the Trump administration’s hardline approach to immigration enforcement in several cities, active on social media and regularly filming raids and posting promotional videos showing his agents’ action.
Homan, who will report directly to the president, advocates for aggressive immigration enforcement pushed by Trump. But he also has longer-term experience in the role, having worked on immigration and deportations during Barack Obama’s Democratic presidency.
Some media outlets suggested Bovino had been removed from his position, but DHS spokeswoman Tricia McLaughlin denied that, saying the Border Patrol chief was “a key part of the president’s team and a great American.”
Getty ImagesTension and frustration over the presence of federal officials remained high in Minneapolis on Monday.
“A lot of people can’t work right now, they can’t leave their house, they’re scared,” said George Cordero, a resident of St. Paul, Minneapolis’ sister city.
Carol Engelheart, a retired nurse from Minneapolis, said the events in the city have shaken her.
“We have to care about this country, we have to make sure that we have a Constitution left, and if the people organize and stand up, we can do it,” she said.
Pretti, a 37-year-old nurse, was the second Minneapolis resident shot and killed by federal immigration agents since their arrival in the state. The first, Renee Good, was killed by an Immigration and Customs Border Enforcement (ICE) agent on January 7.
Much of the anger in the city and among politicians on both sides of the aisle was directed at Bovino and the Border Patrol agents who were sent to Minneapolis with the ICE agents at Trump’s direction. In total, there are around 3,000 immigration officers in the city.
Micayla Pretti, Alex Pretti’s younger sister, released a statement Monday, the Associated Press reported, calling her brother “my hero.”
“When will this end? How many more innocent lives must be lost before we say enough?” his statement said.
Memorials for Pretti and protests against ICE’s action continued Monday evening, including one that saw about 100 people gather outside the hotel where Bovino was supposed to be staying and demand that he leave town. Other vigils and demonstrations are planned in the coming days.
Trump’s crackdown in Minneapolis was launched in December after some Somali immigrants were convicted of massive fraud on state welfare programs. The state of Minnesota is home to the largest Somali immigrant community in the United States.
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Monday that the president “hopes, wishes and demands that resistance and chaos” bring an end to Minneapolis.
In his calls Monday, Trump spoke with both Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, Democratic leaders who have resisted immigration efforts and demanded that agents be removed from the state. Trump has sharply criticized both men in recent weeks.
Like Trump, local leaders described the negotiations as positive — a sign that both sides were seeking a way to end their impasse over the president’s deportation drive.
Trump said he and Walz were “on the same page” and that his target was “every criminal they have in their possession.”
“The president agreed to consider reducing the number of federal agents in Minnesota and to speak with DHS to ensure that the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is able to conduct an independent investigation, as would normally be the case,” Walz said after the call.
Ensuring an independent investigation into Pretti’s death has been a priority for Walz. Immediately afterwards, local authorities obtained a court warrant to access the crime scene in order to preserve evidence.
Following Good’s shooting, local and state authorities said they were being kept out of the investigation by federal immigration agents.
Frey, meanwhile, said he hopes to meet with Homan on Tuesday to discuss next steps.
Among the Republicans who have so far expressed concern about the events in Minnesota is US Senator Ted Cruz, who said on his podcast: “I would encourage the administration to be more measured, to recognize the tragedy.”
Another Republican senator and Trump ally, Lindsey Graham, called Trump’s decision to send Homan to Minneapolis “a very smart decision.”
Meanwhile, some other prominent Republicans have joined opposition Democrats, like Walz, in urging the Trump administration to ensure the investigation into Pretti’s murder is wide-ranging.
Another Republican senator, John Curtis of Utah, called for a “transparent and independent investigation” into the Pretti shooting.
“Those responsible – whatever their title – must be held accountable,” he said.




