Elon Musk’s SpaceX Accuses Amazon of Violating Orbital Rules as Satellite Rivalry Escalates

https://www.profitableratecpm.com/f4ffsdxe?key=39b1ebce72f3758345b2155c98e6709c

Elon Musk’s SpaceX has filed a formal complaint with the FCC accusing Amazon of violating its orbital debris mitigation plan by launching satellites at allegedly unauthorized altitudes, raising concerns about collision risks in low Earth orbit.

Ars Technica reports that SpaceX, the operator of the Starlink broadband satellite constellation, has accused Amazon and its launch partner Arianespace of negligence in deploying satellites at insertion altitudes significantly higher than those outlined in Amazon’s FCC-approved orbital debris mitigation plan. The dispute centers on Amazon’s Project Kuiper, formerly known as Kuiper Systems, which is building a LEO broadband constellation to compete with Starlink’s network of more than 10,000 operational satellites.

In a letter submitted to the FCC, SpaceX alleged that Amazon launched satellites into orbits with insertion altitudes above 280 miles (450 kilometers) on eight occasions without submitting an amended orbital debris mitigation plan or obtaining Commission approval for the change. Amazon previously told the FCC in a 2021 filing that its satellites would be launched into an initial deployment orbit at or near 400 kilometers before being raised to their operational altitudes of between 590 and 630 kilometers.

SpaceX’s filing focused specifically on Amazon’s Ariane 6 launch on Feb. 12, 2026, which it said inserted satellites at a high enough altitude to create what SpaceX described as inexorable collision risks with dozens of operational spacecraft. SpaceX said the Starlink satellites alone were forced to perform 30 collision avoidance maneuvers within hours of Ariane’s launch to avoid the newly deployed Amazon satellites. SpaceX further alleged that the estimated collision risk due to the insertion significantly exceeded the FCC’s semi-annual reporting threshold for unmitigated conjunctions.

Amazon denied the allegations in a response letter filed with the FCC, saying its launches were consistent with the flexibility provided by the “at or near 250 miles” clause in its license. Amazon said it had been transparent with the FCC and SpaceX regarding its insertion altitudes and noted that it had explained its safety-focused approach to SpaceX in coordination meetings before launching production satellites in the controversial altitude range. Amazon also pointed out that SpaceX itself launched Amazon satellites to an insertion altitude of 460 kilometers in July 2025, and on two subsequent occasions, without raising objections at the time.

Amazon attributed the current dispute to SpaceX’s recent decision to lower parts of its Starlink constellation to altitudes of 475, 480 and 485 kilometers, which it said placed SpaceX’s satellites directly within the altitude range that Amazon uses for orbit insertion. Amazon said SpaceX only began raising concerns after this orbital adjustment created the overlap now at issue.

Regarding the issue of risk methodology, Amazon said the risk threshold cited in SpaceX’s letter relies on a measurement approach that the FCC expressly rejected when evaluating Amazon’s orbital debris mitigation plans. Amazon said it uses an industry-standard risk threshold, consistent with best practices adopted by NASA and the FAA, and said it independently verified its risk posture with space security company SpaceNav.

Amazon has acknowledged that changing the insertion altitude of its Ariane launches requires significant preparation time, with Arianespace requiring between three and six months for final mission analysis when adjusting target orbit parameters. Amazon said it was committed to using lower initial altitudes starting with its fourth Ariane mission and said SpaceX declined a proposed solution that would have maintained Amazon’s deployment schedule while addressing SpaceX’s concerns.

The dispute is the latest development in a long-running regulatory rivalry between the two companies. SpaceX and Amazon have accused each other of using FCC procedures to delay each other’s satellite launches at different times over the years.

The conflict appears against a broader backdrop of growing concerns about the proliferation of debris in low Earth orbit. SpaceX revealed this week that it was monitoring debris following the loss of contact with a Starlink satellite, the second such incident since December. Radar tracking company LeoLabs reported that both events produced dozens of trackable fragments and appear to have been caused by the Starlink satellites themselves rather than external collisions.

SpaceX did not request any specific FCC action against Amazon, but said Amazon must quickly ensure its launch plans comply with its authorization before irreparable harm results. Amazon told the FCC that it will continue to work constructively with SpaceX and other operators to address concerns arising from the current orbital situation.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Learn more about Ars Technica here.

Lucas Nolan is a reporter for Breitbart News covering issues of free speech and online censorship.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button