Stefon Diggs, Christian Barmore decline to discuss cases

https://www.profitableratecpm.com/f4ffsdxe?key=39b1ebce72f3758345b2155c98e6709c

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — New England Patriots wide receiver Stefon Diggs told reporters Friday he would not discuss charges against him stemming from an alleged incident earlier this month.

“It’s definitely an open case, so I can’t even say anything about it,” Diggs said Friday in his first remarks since the accusations were made public.

Diggs, who called it a “very emotional moment” and noted that he was “taken back by some of the things that are going on,” said he would answer any football-related questions as the Patriots prepare for their regular-season finale against the Miami Dolphins on Sunday, which he did.

Diggs faces a strangulation charge and a misdemeanor assault charge stemming from an alleged Dec. 2 incident in which a woman claims the wide receiver entered her unlocked bedroom and punched her in the face after they discussed money she was owed, according to a police report. She told police she was working as a private chef on the day of the incident.

Meanwhile, in his first public comments since facing a misdemeanor charge of assault and battery on a family member/family member in connection with an alleged incident on Aug. 8, defensive tackle Christian Barmore also deflected.

“I’m focused on Miami and football,” Barmore said, repeating those remarks, or some variation of them, several times.

According to charging documents obtained by ABC, Barmore allegedly threw a woman to the ground and grabbed her by the shirt “at the neck” during an argument.

Attorney David Meier, who represents both players in their cases, released statements denying the accusations.

Diggs and Barmore are expected to play Sunday, with coach Mike Vrabel saying Wednesday that the Patriots took the allegations “very seriously and what happens with that, we’ll have another discussion then.”

“I don’t think we should jump to conclusions at this point,” Vrabel said, adding that the team plans to let the legal process play out.

In a statement, the Patriots said Diggs “has informed the organization that he categorically denies the allegations.” As part of their statement, the Patriots said: “We support Stefon.”

Diggs’ arraignment is scheduled for Jan. 23, while Barmore’s arraignment is scheduled for Feb. 3.

Diggs leads the Patriots with 82 receptions for 970 yards and has been an inspirational leader to players, often speaking to them before games and practices. He said Friday that he is “excited” and “ready” for Sunday’s game, as he is every week, and he believes the Patriots are focused.

“Being a football team is tough. You band together and lean on your brothers, you lean on the people you spend the most time with. For me, I’ve been dealing with bullshit my whole life. Nothing new to me,” he said. “I just have to roll with the punches, try to stay as positive as possible. It’s definitely something you still have to adapt to, but I’m good at everything.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button