Storms tear through tents in Gaza, leaving Palestinians exposed to the elements

https://www.profitableratecpm.com/f4ffsdxe?key=39b1ebce72f3758345b2155c98e6709c

While a fragile ceasefire remains in place, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians are living in makeshift tents after two years of Israeli strikes that destroyed key infrastructure, leaving hundreds of thousands crowded into areas with almost no toilets, sewers or sanitation.

Two-month-old Muhammad Wissam Abu Harbid died Saturday due to the extreme cold, Palestinian health officials said, bringing the total number of infant deaths from the cold to four since the start of winter.

“Too many people in Gaza are still barely surviving,” the United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) said on Sunday, saying aid was still limited.

“The displaced families are exhausted, hungry and cold,” the statement said.

COGAT, the Israeli agency responsible for humanitarian aid to Gaza, reported on Friday that more than 430,000 tents and tarpaulins had been transported to Gaza, with more than 4,000 trucks carrying blankets and warm clothing.

“We will continue to expand our efforts, coordinating winter-related elements as requested by organizations,” the statement said.

Stéphane Dujarric, a spokesman for the UN secretary-general, told reporters in New York on Thursday that intensifying efforts remained a “crucial priority” as essential supplies were still refused entry.

“These are people trying to survive the winter in extremely fragile conditions,” he said.

Palestinians are spending their third winter displaced, said Sam Rose, acting director of Gaza affairs at UNRWA, adding that there were not enough items for shelter in the enclave.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button