Will Mets Cut Ties With Luisangel Acuña In Trade For $50M White Sox Star?

🎙️ Voice is AI-generated. Inconsistencies may occur.
The New York Mets seem to be the front-runners for Luis Robert Jr. if the Chicago White Sox decide to move him.
Robert is coming to the end of his six-year, $50 million extension in Chicago, the last two years of which have been a major disappointment. But he’s heated up in July, and the former All-Star could provide a spark for a team that hasn’t gotten much from its center fielders.
According to MLB.com reporter Mark Feinsand, the Mets have been described as one of the “most aggressive” teams in pursuit of Robert, who also has club options for the next two seasons at $20 million each.

Mitchell Leff/Getty Images
Previously, Mark Vientos was a name at the forefront of Robert rumors, as Bob Nightengale of USA Today had said Chicago was asking for the 25-year-old third baseman. However, another young Mets infielder might be at risk as well.
Feinsand reported Wednesday that Luisangel Acuña, the National League Rookie of the Month in April, was a name the two teams had discussed in Robert negotiations.
“The White Sox are looking for a solid return for Robert, who remains an above-average defender in center field,” wrote Feinsand. “Infielder Luisangel Acuña is one name being discussed in talks between Chicago and New York, a source said.”
Acuña, 23, has only 17 appearances since he was called back up from Triple-A on July 10. He’s a useful pinch-runner, but the Mets don’t seem to trust his bat enough to make an impact on their playoff run.
Does that mean that Acuña, the younger brother of Atlanta Braves superstar Ronald Acuña Jr., will be on the move for the second time in three years at the deadline?
We’ll know the answer by Thursday night.
More MLB: Yankees Rumors: Pirates Emerging As Likely Pitching Trade Partner?




