Nepal protest death toll rises to 51
The number of deaths of Nepal demonstrations was led by young people in Nepal climbed to 51 years after the authorities recovered organizations not reported before, police said on Friday.
Police spokesperson Dir Binod Ghimire said that the dead include an Indian, with victims reported in the Kathmandu valley and other districts.
“The number of deaths has reached 51 so far, including three police officers,” he said on Friday afternoon.
Nine prisoners have been killed in prison riots, while at least 13,000 detainees escaped in recent days when the disorders have traveled the country’s fragile detention system.
Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli resigned on Tuesday after the ban on short -term social media of his government sparked an uprising led by Gen Z which quickly transformed the criminal fire, looting and deadly confrontations with the security forces. The first day of demonstrations alone left 21 dead, according to police files.
Former Sushila Karki chief has since been proposed by demonstrators as the next Prime Minister of Nepal. President Ram Chandra Paudel consults political parties, lawyers and civil society leaders on how to proceed. If it is approved, Karki would become the first woman in Nepal Prime Minister and will lead an interim government to new elections.
Friday afternoon, the Nepal army had attenuated the curfew since Tuesday evening and life in Kathmandu had started to show signs of normality. The soldiers and the police, working alongside the inhabitants, released rubble and sucked up fires on the government damaged in the troubles, in particular the Parliament, the office of the president and the residence of the Prime Minister.




