Far-right Israeli minister condemned for taunting handcuffed Gaza flotilla activists

https://www.profitableratecpm.com/f4ffsdxe?key=39b1ebce72f3758345b2155c98e6709c

The international community has condemned Israel’s treatment of pro-Palestinian activists who were aboard a Gaza-bound humanitarian flotilla intercepted by Israeli naval forces.

The United States, the United Kingdom, France, Italy and Canada were among the countries expressing outrage after far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir released a video showing him taunting activists kneeling with their hands tied behind their backs.

His actions also drew rare criticism from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who said they were “not consistent with Israel’s values.”

A rights group representing the 430 people from more than 40 countries who participated in the global Sumud flotilla has demanded their release.

The flotilla, which carried symbolic aid, aimed to highlight the difficult conditions Palestinians live in in the war-torn Gaza Strip. Israel dismissed the move as a “public relations stunt in the service of Hamas.”

More than 50 boats participating in the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) left Turkey last Thursday.

On Monday morning, armed Israeli naval commandos began intercepting the fleet in international waters west of Cyprus, about 250 nautical miles (460 km) from the coast of Gaza, which is under an Israeli maritime blockade.

GSF organizers said all the boats were intercepted Tuesday evening, with one managing to come within 80 nautical miles of Palestinian territory.

They accused Israel of “unlawful aggression on the high seas” and said Israeli commandos opened fire on six boats, used water cannons and deliberately rammed a ship.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry said no live ammunition had been used and insisted it “would not allow any violation of the legal naval blockade of Gaza.”

The ministry also said that all activists had been transferred to Israeli ships and would be allowed to meet with their consular representatives after arriving in Israel.

On Wednesday morning, Israeli rights group Adalah said the activists were being “taken to Israeli territory entirely against their will” and detained at the Ashdod port.

“The legal team will challenge the legality of these detentions and demand the immediate release of all participants in the flotilla,” the statement added.

In the afternoon, Ben-Gvir – an ultranationalist who, as national security minister, oversees Israel’s police force – posted a video on social media, captioned “Welcome to Israel.” He is seen visiting a detention center at Ashdod port where activists are being held.

He is seen encouraging security personnel as he pushes away an activist who shouts “Free, free, Palestine” as he walks past her.

Ben-Gvir is then shown waving a large Israeli flag alongside dozens of activists kneeling on the ground with their hands tied behind their backs. He said to them in Hebrew: “Welcome to Israel. We are the masters.”

Other activists are shown kneeling on the deck of a ship while the Israeli national anthem is played.

The US ambassador to Israel, Mike Huckabee, called Ben-Gvir’s actions “despicable.”

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper said the video showed “totally shameful scenes”, adding that she had sent a summons to the Israeli embassy demanding an “urgent explanation”.

She earlier said the government was “in contact with the families of a number of affected British nationals to provide them with consular support”.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney called Israel’s treatment of the activists “abhorrent,” adding that he had asked authorities to summon the Israeli ambassador.

“The protection of civilians and respect for human dignity must be respected everywhere and at all times,” Carney said in a message on X.

Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong condemned Ben-Gvir, calling the actions of Israeli authorities “degrading”.

Italy, France, the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain said Ben-Gvir’s actions were “unacceptable” and that they had summoned their respective Israeli ambassadors.

Irish Foreign Minister Helen McEntee said the footage showed that “illegally detained participants”, including Irish citizens, “were in no way treated with appropriate dignity or respect”.

Adalah said the footage demonstrated that Israel was “employing a criminal policy of abuse and humiliation against activists.”

Video footage from the Sumud Global Flotilla showing armed commandos boarding a sailboat from a raid craft in the Mediterranean, west of Cyprus (May 18, 2026)

A live stream from Sumud’s global flotilla showed Israeli commandos boarding a boat on Monday [Global Sumud Flotilla/Handout via Reuters]

In an unusual step, Israel’s foreign minister joined in the condemnation of his cabinet colleague.

Addressing him on X, Gideon Saar wrote: “You have knowingly harmed our state in this shameful display – and this is not the first time.”

Ben-Gvir quickly responded by saying: “The foreign minister should understand that Israel has ceased to be a pushover. »

Netanyahu then issued his own rebuke.

“Israel has every right to prevent provocative flotillas of Hamas terrorist supporters from entering our territorial waters and reaching Gaza,” a statement said. “However, Minister Ben-Gvir’s treatment of the flotilla activists is not in line with Israeli values ​​and standards.”

The prime minister added that he had asked Israeli authorities “to expel the provocateurs as soon as possible.”

The GSF said the activists on board were carrying food, formula and medical aid for Palestinians in Gaza, where living conditions are dire and most of the 2.1 million residents are displaced, despite the ceasefire agreed by Israel and Hamas last October.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry described Gaza as “awash with aid,” saying more than 1.5 million tons of aid and thousands of tons of medical supplies had entered the territory over the past seven months.

The UN said last week that many displaced families in Gaza were still forced to shelter in overcrowded tents or badly damaged structures due to a lack of safer alternatives.

Access to basic services remains limited, he adds, with an irregular supply of drinking water and failing waste management systems that fail to meaningfully address public health concerns. Pests and rodents are also a problem.

The UN said humanitarian operations continued to be compromised by restrictions on the importation of essential spare parts, emergency generators and other equipment, as well as shortages of essential inputs, including fuel and engine oil.

He noted that only 86% of the humanitarian supplies initially approved by Israeli authorities to enter Gaza in April were ultimately unloaded at border crossings. The remaining supplies were returned to their points of origin.

The war in Gaza was sparked by the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on October 7, 2023, in which around 1,200 people were killed and another 251 taken hostage.

Israel responded by launching a military campaign in Gaza, during which more than 72,770 people were killed, according to the Hamas-run territory’s Health Ministry.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also
Close
Back to top button