Nat’l Security Adv. opposes Netanyahu in rare move
N12 noted that Hanegbi’s opposition to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is extremely rare.
National Security Advisor Tzachi Hanegbi criticized the incoming occupation of Israel of Gaza City in the cabinet on Friday.
“I am not ready to abandon the safeguard of hostages,” Hanegbi said on Friday, as indicated by N12. “I do not understand how someone who watched the videos of Evyatar and Rom, and all the people published before him, can support the declaration” All or nothing “. This means abandoning the possibility of saving at least 10 hostages immediately, because Hamas will not respond to this request.”
“A ceasefire would allow us to try to reach an agreement on the other 10. I fully agree with the chief of staff according to which the takeover of Gaza City compromises the life of the hostages, that is why I oppose the Prime Minister’s proposal,” he added.
The interim chief of Mossad also expressed reserves on the occupation of Gaza City and called for a return to the negotiation table.
A TSAhal soldier operates in Beit Hanun, Gaza Strip, August 7, 2025. (Credit: Unit of the FDI spokesperson)
N12 noted that Hanegbi’s opposition to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is extremely rare.
In the end, the cabinet decided that it would only return to the negotiating table if Hamas showed signs of a breakthrough, Channel reported 12.
What happened at the meeting of the cabinet?
Knesset’s security officials and representatives have greatly debated the choice to occupy Gaza.
The Minister of Finance Bezalel Smotrich and the Minister of National Security Itamar Ben-Gvir challenged any agreement which would result in temporary occupation of the Gaza Strip.
“We must not stop halfway. If we are going for a temporary agreement, it is a defeat,” said Smotrich, as reported by N12.
“Where are the days of Entebbe, where to give in the terror was out of the question?” Ben-Gvir asked.
In response, MK Arye Deri criticized its decision of political choice, adding that “in Entebbe, they did not risk the lives of 300 kidnapped people”, according to the report. Deri would have said it was immoral not to release the hostages.
Smotrich replied: “Is it moral for a hundred soldiers to be killed, then we are withdrawing for ten kidnapped people?”
FDI’s chief of staff, Eyal Zamir, said that the operation would risk the life of the hostages as well as the TSAhal soldiers.
“If we are going with what you offer, the life of the hostages will be in danger. I suggest you delete the return of the hostages of war objectives,” said Zamir, as reported by N12.
“We are not going to take total control of Gaza at all costs just to exert pressure on Hamas. There is not enough civil infrastructure and humanitarian resources to move a population of a million people. We must build hospitals for them,” he added.
In the discussion, Netanyahu notably refrained from calling the operation a complete occupation of Gaza.
“Where did you get a” occupation “? We want to take control of the field as we have done so far in all places,” he told the government’s legal adviser, Gali Baharav-Miara.
During a break at the meeting, MK Orit Strock would have shouted against the hostage coordinator, Gal Hirsch, who told senior officials of TSAhal that he had asked that the objective of releaseing the hostages appears in TDS ‘mission.
“What is not the mission-the mission is to eliminate Hamas,” she said.
Strock said the effort to return the captives is the reason why the soldiers are killed. Hirsch replied, according to the report, “our soldiers are fighting to save civilians and turning the hostages. It’s always like that. I did it myself. It’s like that.”


