Trump’s executive order tightening U.S. sanctions on Cuba is a warning to other countries, expert says

President Trump signed an executive order Friday strengthening U.S. sanctions against Cuba, expanding sanctions against the island’s government and foreign companies that do business with the country.
The order builds on sanctions introduced earlier this year and signals that Cuba remains a priority for the administration, even as the United States faces other international conflicts in Iran and elsewhere, experts say.
The decree is aimed at Cuban government officials, people accused of corruption and people operating in the country’s energy, defense or financial services sectors. He does not name any person specifically sanctioned.
The new measures also increase pressure on foreign financial institutions by threatening their access to American markets if they continue to work with Cuban government entities. The administration says the sanctions are also intended to discourage deeper involvement by foreign adversaries.
Andy Gómez, a professor of Cuban studies at the University of Miami, said the decree had broader geopolitical implications. He added that this can be seen as a warning to countries like Russia and China to keep their distance.
“That’s the hidden message behind what was written, and that’s how I read it,” he said.
The moves follow months of intense pressure on Cuba by the Trump administration, which used the threat of high tariffs to prevent foreign countries from shipping oil to Cuba, causing severe energy shortages. Mr. Trump is not ruling out some form of military action in Cuba, while Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the country must implement significant economic and political reforms.
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel condemned the tightening of sanctions, calling them “coercive measures” intended to intimidate Cuba in a message on X.
The strengthening of sanctions comes as Raúl Castro makes a rare public appearance at a Cuban parade. The rare public appearance on Friday former president during the May Day parade in Cuba could be seen as a calculated effort to project strength.
“You are talking about a man who is going to be 95 years old,” Gómez said. “It sends the message that he’s still calling the shots.”
According to Gómez, the sanctions also include an implicit warning regarding migration. He said the administration was signaling to Cuban leaders that large-scale migration to the United States would not be tolerated.
The executive order could have significant consequences for foreign banks, which risk losing access to the U.S. financial system if they do business with the Cuban government.
South Florida Rep. Carlos Giménez welcomed the sanctions.
“The recently implemented sanctions against the Cuban regime are necessary to target its security apparatus, the machine that imprisons political prisoners and oppresses its people,” said Giménez, a Republican. “Anyone who supports this tyranny will face serious consequences. We must end this repressive regime which continues to pose a significant threat to our national security. The days of impunity are over. Freedom and our security are non-negotiable.”
In South Florida, where Cuban Americans are closely watching U.S. policy toward the island, the announcement reinforced long-standing concerns.
Gómez said frustration was growing within the Cuban-American community as U.S. attention turned to conflicts abroad.
“This decision shows Cuba that it has not been forgotten,” Gómez said. “Even with other international priorities, the question of Cuba remains on the table.”




